Product Review: Beeswax Food Wraps

When shopping around for litter-free lunch alternatives, a product that inevitably presents itself is the beeswax food wrap. The wraps are made by saturating cloth fabric with beeswax, making a moldable, slightly tacky-feeling sheet. You warm the wrap with your hands to melt the wax, which lets it form to whatever shape you want!

These had been on the periphery of my zero-waste efforts for some time, but I impulse-bought a variety-sized set at a farmer's market a week and a half ago. I was sold on the cute patterns, and the knowledge that they were locally made by people who source their beeswax ethically. So, $26 later, I was carting home something I hadn't planned to buy, but that I was keen on integrating into my lunchbox nonetheless.

I experienced buyer's remorse almost immediately. We already have so many reusable containers, I didn't really need more accessories for my lunch. I actually tend to bring snacks that don't need packaging at all, like apples, bananas, and oranges. Not to mention, our house rarely uses plastic wrap, so why did I just buy an eco-alternative for a product I never use? Not to mention the price tag. I was worried that my beautiful beeswax wraps would sit on the shelf unused. So I made a plan.

I've been on a mission to make my own granola bars for a couple of months now. I wanted to have the same sweet, filling snack but without the packaging. And what better way to pack them than with my new beeswax wraps?! So I got to work in the kitchen, made my best batch of granolas yet, using this recipe (I also added dark chocolate-covered quinoa puffs, and dried cranberries!) Last Monday morning, I packed up my lunch and set out, satisfied with myself about how good I am at DIY stuff.

The wraps were easy to use, molding perfectly to the granola bars, and staying put until my mid-morning snack. They have a slight scent which is overall quite pleasant, and they're actually kind of fun to play with. I folded and unfolded them many times throughout the week, just observing the way they almost turn to putty in my hands. They are a bit noisy though if you unwrap them when they're a bit cold. Product care is really easy, just be sure to use only cold water. The bits of melted chocolate came off with no problems, and they dried quickly. On the website for the wraps I have, they say that the wraps can last from 6 months to a year, depending on use and care. This kind of bummed me out, just from a price perspective. I definitely would not spend more than $26 each year on reusable containers or plastic wrap. Even though the wraps are compostable, I just wish they could last longer. It should be noted that you can also buy re-waxing kits, though I'm not sure how much they extend the life of the product.

The verdict: If you have the money, these wraps make a cute addition to your lunchbox, one that you can feel great about. They are zero-waste, so they are better even than plastic reusable containers. But in terms of product lifecycle, your reusable containers will last longer, so unless you're using a lot of plastic wrap, this isn't a must-have product.

Let me know if you've tried beeswax food wraps! Are they worth the switch?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm learning to sew - again

Getting Started is the Hardest Part